Thursday, June 17, 2010

You wanna do what!?!

So for those of you that don't know...my husband is a powerlifter. Meaning he doesn't just lift heavy things like furniture...no, he competitively lifts a bar with heavy weights for the pure enjoyment of it all. I often feel like I'm having an out of body experience when I tell others about his new hobby. Because most people ask me to repeat my statement knowing my tall, lanky husband doesn't fit the type.


I feel like I must explain a little about my sweet husband Creighton in order for you to truly understand this powerlifting decision. Don't let the quiet, funny type fool you...Creighton is all boy in his desire to compete and conquer. He's passionate like no one I've ever met and is "all in" when he commits to something. Which is something I love about him!

The good news is I knew this going into the relationship since he boxed in college and did jiu-jitsu early in our marriage. Most men run marathons, my husband likes to get a little rowdy when he's burning off steam. I think it helps keep him balanced since he's a much happier man when he's training for something.

So when he told me he wanted to compete in a powerlifting competition in Tyler, I knew things would get interesting. Hours upon hours of researching online and reading books titled, The Strongest Shall Survive, Starting Strength (sixty, yes sixty stimulating pages on proper squatting) and Practical Programming for Strength Training over and over again. Sigh.

It wasn't even all the gallons of milk he was drinking, daily. It was the attire that threw me over the edge! Ladies, you've never lived until you've seen the love of your life in a singlet, weight lifting belt, lifting shoes and tube socks....be still my heart. (Please note, there is a HUGE difference between powerlifting and body building...think more Olympic weightlifters less Arnold Schwarzenegger striking a pose.)

Last weekend was the big meet in Tyler and I could not have been more proud of Creighton, he did amazingly well! He competed in 3 events: squats, deadlift and bench press. I've included 2 short videos of his final squat and deadlift for your viewing pleasure! (The meet was held in the Quality Inn ballroom, hence the fancy lighting...I couldn't make this stuff up!)

Creighton's best lifts...
Squats - 402 lbs
Bench Press - 265 lbs
Deadlift - 435 lbs

Squats

Deadlift








Jeff and Molly from our Community Group came from Dallas to cheer him on and even made T-shirts! Thanks guys!!!



That's C.U. Smile! (I love a good double entendre!)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Creighton! That's some heavy lifting. Oh, and I LOVE the outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me laugh!!! BUT...very cool! What a cool thing to do!

    ReplyDelete